Michael has been an IP litigator for more than 17 years. For the last ten years he has been a first chair trial attorney in cases involving software, hardware, and brand name consumer products. He has also handled several Inter Partes Reviews with Vincent and has developed a focus on copyright, trademark, and design patent enforcement.
As a result of his industry, technology, and programming background, Michael understands the business of what it takes to bring products to market and the importance of protecting the intellectual property developed along the way. From patent litigation to trademark and copyright enforcement and licensing, Michael regularly handles all aspects of intellectual property litigation and enforcement.
Michael’s successful experience in alternative fee IP litigation makes his practice style extremely efficient and goal focused. By using project management and data mining technologies to budget and run large-scale litigations with fewer resources Michael gives clients the information and power they need to develop a risk management strategy that matches their business and project.
Michael enjoys learning about his clients’ businesses and working collaboratively without the pressures of the traditional law firm revenue model of selling associate time and welcomes client discussions regarding project and value based billings.
Michael is also devoted to raising his three sons, his yoga practice, and reading texts ranging from the poems of Rumi to the science of Angier. He also maintains a pro bono practice supporting the arts with a focus on the artists of Burning Man.
2017 Lawyer of the Year - Intellectual Property Litigation - Newark NJ Metro Area
Only a single lawyer in each practice area and designated metropolitan area is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year,” making this accolade particularly significant.
Lawyers being honored as “Lawyer of the Year” are selected based on particularly impressive voting averages received during the exhaustive peer-review assessments we conduct with thousands of leading lawyers each year. Receiving this designation reflects the high level of respect a lawyer has earned among other leading lawyers in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, their professionalism, and their integrity.
Best Lawyers® began designating “Lawyers of the Year” in the U.S. in high-profile legal practice areas in 2009. Since then, we have extended this honor to many other countries where the Best Lawyers peer-review process is conducted as well.
- Member at McGeary Cukor LLC
- Director at Gibbons P.C.
- Attorney at Pillsbury Winthrop
- Attorney at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Software Engineer at Boston Scientific
- Graphic Designer and Programmer at Roche Molecular Systems
- Rutgers University School of Law
- Rutgers College / Rutgers University
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- New York Appellate Division
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- Filter Plus, Inc. v The O R Company (EDMI)
- Advanced Access Content Systems Licensing Administrator LLC v Feng Tao (SDNY & 2nd Cir.)
- Various Copyright, Trademark and Design Patent Enforcement and push back matters
- TruePosition Inc v Polaris Wireless Inc. (DDE)
- Achates v Microsoft (EDTX)
- Achates v Apple (EDTX)
- Apple v Achates (PTAB)
- NPS v Fortinet (NDCA)
- Polaris Wireless, Inc. v TruePosition, Inc (PTAB)
- Avocent v Raritan (SDNY)
- Montclair State University v Oracle USA, Inc. (DNJ)
- Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc. v Nat Sherman, Inc. (WDNC)
- Estate of Townes Van Zandt v. Navarre (SDNY)
- Newspring industrial Corp. v Empire Industrial Corp. (DNJ)
- NHN Corp. v NHN Corporation (DNJ)
- Huber Engineered Woods LLC v Pactiv Corporation (WDNC)
- Helferich Patent Licensing, LLC v Personal Communications Devices, LLC (NDIL)
- SAAB AB v SAAB Travel and Tours, Inc (CDCA)
- Satellite Tracking of People, LLC v ProTech Monitoring, Inc (MDTN)
- McDermott v Stryker Corp. (DNJ)
- Waterford Wedgwood Plc. v Waterford Stellenbosch, Assembled Investments (DNJ)
- Colassi v Cybex International (DMA)
- Kiel Labs Inc. v NAPP Technologies Inc. (NDGA)
- Golden By-Products Inc. v Groundscape Tech LLC (EDCA)
- "Nautilus, Inc. v. Biosig Instruments, Inc. – Definiteness Now Requires Reasonable Certainty," IP Law Alert, June 10, 2014 (Michael Cukor, Uzoamaka N. Okoye)
- "Supreme Court Reestablishes Standard for Attorneys’ Fees Under §285," IP Law Alert, May 5, 2014 (Michael Cukor, Christopher H. Strate)
- "In re Staats: Two-Year Time Limit for Reissue Applications," IP Law Alert, March 9, 2012 (Thomas J. Bean, Michael Cukor)
- "Proper Patent Valuation is Critical in Today's Market," IP Law Alert, August 19, 2011
- "India's Movement to Protect Basmati as Its Own," Law360, May 6, 2009 (Michael Cukor, Lucy E. Emhardt, Nancy J. Mertzel)
- "New Jersey Local Patent Rules: Fostering a Good Venue For Patent Litigation," Intellectual Property Newsletter, January 22, 2009 (Michael Cukor, Lisa H. Wang)
- "VoIP Telephony: Keeping a Lid on Pandora's Box," New York Law Journal, June 30, 2008 (Michael Cukor, Thomas R. DeSimone)
- "How to Evaluate the Possibility of an Injunction Post-eBay: Where You Are and Who You Are May Be Determinative - Part II," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 2007 (Michael Cukor, Jon A. Chiodo)
- "How to Evaluate the Possibility of an Injunction Post-eBay: Where You Are and Who You Are May Be Determinative - Part I," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, February 2007 (Michael Cukor, Jon A. Chiodo)
- "Glaxo and Yamanouchi: Are Attorney Fees Still Possible in ANDA litigation?," New Jersey Intellectual Property Law Association Patent Litigation Seminar Materials, March 10, 2005 (Michael Cukor, Andrew M. Grodin)
- "What Every Attorney Should Know About Claim Construction Before Having A Markman Hearing," Intellectual Property Newsletter, December 2, 2004
- "Protecting Online Archives From the Threat of Copyright Infringement: Legal and Technological Alternatives," Law Office Technology Supplement to The Legal Intelligencer, November, 2002
- "Basic Intellectual Property Licensing Strategies," Eighth Annual Business Lawyers' Institute Course Materials, October, 2002
- "Handling Security-Defeating Hacker Posts on the Internet," Law Office Technology Supplement to The Legal Intelligencer, March, 2002
- "Several forums for Ending Domain Name Disputes," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, September, 2001
- "Several forums for Ending Domain Name Disputes," The Legal Intelligencer, July, 2001
- "An Overview of Technology Licensing Basics (Updated)," Seventh Annual Business Lawyers, Institute Course Materials, November 2000
- "An Overview of Technology Licensing Basics," Sixth Annual Business Lawyers, Institute Courts Materials, November 2000
Honors and Awards
- Listed as Super Lawyers Rising Star, Intellectual Property Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America 2016 Edition
- Technology, Reading, Shorinji Kempo